Friday, September 11, 2009

Some Goodbyes... and a word from the Lord

So today was the week mark. I have exactly one week left before mom and I begin our journey to Canada... I went down to Taholah where my dad grew up today. A bunch of our family still lives there. I'll be honest with you, I have always felt a kind of fear when I go there... when I go onto Native American land. I feel a sense of wonder and awe at that part of who I am. I was not raised on the Rez so I feel very ignorant about a lot of what my family has gone through. But I have heard stories and I know that somehow the Lord has worked that part of who I am into the Calling he has placed on my life. It is something that I ran from for a long time.

This DTS that I am going to be a part of works directly with First Nation People Groups, this of course including Native Americans who were "here first." I have great expectation that the Lord is going to break my heart in this area, and bring me to my knees in intercession for the blood that runs in my veins and in those of my people. I wish I knew how to reach out to those I see better. I know the day is coming that I cannot hide in my comfortable life... when I will be put in a place where I can and will influence those around me in a very real way for the Lord.

My grandmother who was very dear to me recently passed away. Her grave along with my grandpa's is across the river in the village. I wanted to go today while I was there to "say goodbye". Knowing it was dangerous to be out in the woods where the cemetery is, alone, I only stayed for a few moments. The drive through the woods to the plot of land is eerie, but has an elegance to it. An old gravel road with potholes is lined with trees like an arch over your car, the path leading there. I went around 5:30 as the sun was beginning to lower. The light cast a beautiful, but eerie glow through the trees and as I drove up to the graveside the sun was only shining on her grave. The rest of the cemetery was already covered in shade of the late afternoon. There was a peace there and I found such comfort knowing that she was no longer in pain, but was enjoying the warmth and beauty of our Savior's presence. I also found a determination to begin to pray for her people, my people. I began to drive out again and as I did I came to the bridge that covers the river. I think I have decided it is my favorite spot in the World.
tell me it is not beautiful!! This is the view from the bridge. You are looking at the Quinault River flowing together at the mouth into the Ocean. Isn't it beautiful? I was reminded that at this moment in life I am at the edge of all that I know and it is a point of transition. The waters are together, mixing and I have a choice to push my way into the ocean, the unknown if you will, or to stay in a place of comfort and security. I know that the Lord is leading me, and I am excited to see where he will take me...

I am grateful for the peace that comes with obedience. He is good, isn't he?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment